Kitchen Design IdeasJanuary 30, 2014
The kitchen is an area where many of us spend a great deal of our time. From preparing and eating food, to entertaining and spending time with family and friends, a kitchen should be comfortable and functional. With that being said, here are six tips to think about when you’re designing your kitchen:
- Create a one of a kind kitchen: Make your kitchen they way YOU want it to be. Yes, it is okay to want to follow design trends by allowing yourself to draw on ideas of other kitchens, but leave some area to personalize your design. You have to live with your kitchen, so make it the way you want. Some ideas include allowing yourself to have that wine fridge, walk in pantry, or those double islands that you’ve always wanted.
- Utilize your space: Don’t be afraid to utilize your space from the floor to the ceiling. A great example of this is your cabinets. Building cabinets all the way up to the ceiling not only gives you extra storage, but it also saves you time from dusting the top of your cabinets; it’s a win – win.
- Keep it simple, but significant: Know when “enough is enough”. You don’t want the kitchen to be too busy and overwhelming. A kitchen is supposed to make you feel at home and be welcoming. If you put too much into it, no one will see its true beauty. An example of this is using too many different materials or textures in the kitchen all at once. Choose a couple of materials or textures you really like and stick to just those options.
- Avoid clutter: Hiding some of your appliances or utensils can help avoid an overwhelming feeling when one enters the kitchen. Creating a welcoming environment is extremely important when it comes to the kitchen, so avoid having too much on the counters or hanging too many things on the wall.
- Create cohesiveness: A good thing to keep in mind is to make everything look like it belongs in one room together. Things like choosing appliances in the same finish; keeping colors in the same color family; or matching the backsplash to the countertops are all things to remember. Doing things like this will give the kitchen a polished look.
- Do Your Research: You are making a large investment in your home, so doing research is necessary. It is important to keep in mind that if you make an investment with the strongest and best-looking cabinets, they will repay you over time. The same goes for appliances, counters, and floors. Reading articles and Consumer Reports allow you to look at side-by-side comparisons of appliances, making your decisions easy. If you are only able to afford certain upgrades, choose the one’s that you want – always remember that this is your home, so do what you like the most with the space.
Whether you use one or all of these tips, we hope you’ll have the kitchen of your dreams. If you would like to learn more about how we can help design the home or townhome of your dreams, please contact us here: http://creativecustombuildersmn.com/contact-us/.← Winterizing Your Home Enjoying All Seasons →